Monday, February 2, 2015

Oh, What's in a name?

So I believe we have settled on a name for our little one! Yay! I love getting that figured out for a few reasons.
1. Because then it's done. No more fighting over names. No more me thinking I have the final say because I'm in charge of the birth certificate, or Luke thinking that he is because he does the baby blessing. :) We don't have to worry about when baby comes out and looks different, because we only ever pick names that feel right to us. So we know we're good.
2. I have a really hard time bonding with my babies in utero. Sometimes its because of sickness or depression, or pain, sometimes it's just because. I think it's not REAL until baby is out and tangible. Sidenote: Luke and I were actually discussing when people don't find out and it's a big surprise and both of us said that's just not for us. I feel like once I have a gender, then I can finalize a name. Then we all start calling the baby by that name and by the time it comes out, that baby feels like they have always been part of our family. It's just part of my process. Helps me feel closer to baby.
3. And finally, once your name is picked, people are less likely to be contributing "helpful" suggestions and family names that you would prefer to stay on a pedigree chart. :)

So here it is. Our name pick for baby number 4......



Every time I say it, I love it more and more. Here's why we picked it.

Grace, because it's the one name that both Luke and I absolutely loved. I just said it one day and he was all, yeah, I really like that. Because Grace sounds like an adult grown up name. We will call her Gracie which is so adorable for a little girl, and she can switch to simply Grace anytime she wants.

Also, because grace just fits this situation perfectly. When I think of the word grace, I think of Christ, tender mercies, forgiveness, mercy, elegance, refined, blessed. How long we waited for a baby, grace. The timing of how everything was meant to work out, grace. Thinking we had a boy coming, only to realize we were expecting our sweet baby girl first, grace. There are just so many feelings and blessings associated with this name. And we know without a doubt, Grace is her name.

So we had her first name picked out, and were searching for a middle name. For me, middle names should be full of meaning. There were many names we liked and sounded okay, but none that meant anything to us. So we started looking for the family names. There aren't many names on my side that I love, but I really like Lee and have always wanted to use it. But Grace Lee, it doesn't work well and sounds like Gracelee. And on Luke's side, with all of those nieces and nephews, most of the family names have been used several times. Jennings (William's middle name) is one of those, but we used it because it was really important to Luke. My SIL Jennie, her middle name is Rebecca.

Let me just say, we adore Jennie. She was the sibling that Luke gravitated towards. They spent a lot of time together in high school. She was kind to him and didn't treat him like an annoying little brother. They had a lot of fun. And I have been impressed with Jennie and JC (her hubby) ever since Luke and I were dating and they invited me to their house and made me an amazing filet. They are incredible people. They've raised their children to be gracious, beautiful, kind and loving people. Luke and I both hope to raise our children half as good as they have raised theirs. Deciding to use Rebecca was an easy choice for us. A name filled with meaning.

So there you have it. A super long post about our baby girl's name. We love her already. And the kids are super excited to meet Baby Gracie :)